Tuesday, June 16, 2009

State Budget Issues

Senator Miller,

I’ve written to you several times so far during the budget process but I have yet to hear any response. I’m sure that you’ve been very busy with the JFC. Once more, let me summarize my issues, so that you know where your constituents stand. I write as a member of the Builders Association and as a small business owner.

Liability Expansion Provisions: I support the elimination of the provisions in the budget that expand liability, as was done by the Assembly last week. These expansions are bad not only for businesses and the business climate in the state, but for the citizens of Wisconsin as well.

New 1% Withholding Requirement: I oppose the over-arching policy of the withholding provision on payments made only to construction subcontractors. At a minimum, include a change made in the Assembly that would specify that the 1% withholding by construction contractors to subcontractors and single members LLCs be made “not more frequently than on a quarterly basis.”

Prevailing Wage: Please EXEMPT housing from prevailing wage requirements contained in the state budget. These provisions require in part that prevailing wage be paid on 100% privately funded infrastructure that is turned over to a municipality, such as when improvements are turned over to the municipality under a developer's agreement. This provision will increase the cost of housing and hurt affordability.

I hope that I will later be able to commend you for your work on this budget because I expect that you will support these common-sense, pro-family, pro-housing, pro-economic development items.

No comments:

Post a Comment